Saturday, May 28, 2011

Alaska Trip 2011: May 23 - Whitehorse, Yukon Territory

This is page 11 of our Alaska 2011 trip journal. Click here for the first page. If you want to bookmark this journal, http://jeanne-travels.blogspot.com always links to the newest page.

Whitehorse, with a whopping big population of about 20,000, is the captal and largest city in Yukon Territory. About two thirds of the Yukon population lives in Whitehorse, which explains why the rest of the place is so sparsely populated. It is the "big city" in this part of the world. The city has several museums and attractions, and we plan to spend a couple days here.

Yukon River
This overlook shows part of the Yukon River, with Whitehorse in the background. From here it looks like the river is frozen, but I think it is just this location. The boat you see across the way is the S. S. Klondike, a historic site we visited later in the day.


MacBride Museum of Yukon History
Of course two of the most significant events in Yukon history were the Gold Rush, and the Alaska Highway, both because they brought people to this remote part of the world. Other displays were devoted to the formation of the mounted police, the First Nations, famous Yukoners and more.



This engine was used by the White Pass & Yukon Railway. More about them in a couple days.


Look! There it is! The elusive moose! Oh wait... it's stuffed.

The placards did not mention the white moose, so I don't know if it was an albino, or just a color variant of some kind.


What I liked best about the museum was the amazing display of stuffed animals and birds. They did a terrific job on this display. After seeing these, I'm sure I will be better at identifying some of these.


You can identify the muskox by the short, square legs. Ok, I have to give Dale credit for that comment, but it made me giggle. If you can't see it in the picture, it is just a muskox hide draped over a rounded form that has square legs, like a table.


On display outside the museum is this large copper nugget - the largest ever found in the Yukon. It's as tall as the eaves on the cabin behind it.

The S.S. Klondike

Before there were roads in the area, the major means of trasportation to and from the Klondike area was along the Yukon river. S.S. Klondike is a sternwheeler that was used during this era. The restored boat is now a Canadian National Historic Site.


The cargo hold


Engine room


Observation lounge


Cabins along the deck


View from the deck


The stern wheel

Oh No! Dropped the Camera! Wah!
While on board the Klondike, I dropped the camera and it broke. Don't know if I hit the shutter trying to grab for it or what, but this is the last picture it ever took. (R.I.P.) We still have the old camera that works quite well, but it's so big and bulky compared to my little coolpix. Yes, I'm pouting. Wah!

Long story short, I decide I can't live without my little compact camera. I found a Canon sure-shot at local Walmart for only 88 bucks. Features are similar to the old one. We'll see how it does.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment, but I will look at all comments before allowing them to be published, so don't expect them to show up immediately. This is to weed out the inevitable spam posts. If you do not wish to register, you might include a clue in your comment so I can figure out who you are.