Thursday, June 2, 2011

Alaska Trip 2011: June 2-3 - Back Through Canada to the Rest of Alaska

This is page 20 of our Alaska 2011 trip journal. Click here for the first page. If you want to bookmark this journal, http://jeanne-travels.blogspot.com always links to the newest page.

Today we left the southern peninsula, and headed for the rest of Alaska. To get there, we had to go back through British Columbia and Yukon Territory again. Sometimes I think Alaska is the State of "no way to get there from here."

Haines Highway
The Haines Highway basically runs from Haines, AK back to Haines Junction, YT on the Alaska Highway. This is a beautiful stretch of road, but I did not take a lot of pictures, because much of it was similar to what we had already seen in Haines. Don't want to bore you too much, though I'm probably getting close to that already.


As we got higher in altitude, we started seeing more leftover snow and ice. It is mostly in the crevices and ravines, giving the mountainsides a sort of zebra appearance. The high point in the highway is only about 3300 feet, and I was a little surprised to see that much difference. We stopped for lunch near the high point.


Grizzly Bear
A few miles down the road after lunch, we spotted this guy ambling down the road. Unlike the lighter colored bear we saw before, I'm fairly certain this one was a grizzly. Or as it's known around here, the Alaskan brown bear. Besides the size, the telltale signs are the shoulder hump and the dished silhouette of the head.

Usually when I take animal pictures, the surrounding scenery is worthless, and I end up cropping it out so I can make the animal bigger. A couple of these came out with good backgrounds this time, so I still cropped the bear for a closer shot, but then included the scenery shot too. These are probably my best animal pictures so far.



This may be my favorite picture of the trip so far. Click on it to see it full size.



Yet Another Pullout
Besides another scenic view, I spotted these pretty purple flowers, which I later identified as one of three kinds of lupines that are found in this part of Yukon Territory.




The Elusive Moose
Shortly before arriving in Haines Junction, we finally spotted our first moose of the trip. No chance for a picture, but at least we are no longer skunked.

June 3
Once at Haines Junction, we got back on the Alaska Highway to head down the last stretch of road in Yukon before getting to the main part of Alaska. The road makes a wide swing around Kluane Lake here. Here are a couple pictures at Destruction Bay.



This raven wanted some of our lunch, but we weren't sharing.

Frost Heaves
You may think you know frost heaves, but you probably have not seen frost heaves like these. In our part of the country it's simple. Water seeps into cracks in the pavement, freezes, expands, and pop, you get a pothole. In a permafrost area, it's a lot more complicated than that.

The active layer, which freezes and thaws, sits on top of the permafrost layer, which does not. Water in the active layer seeps down to the permafrost layer and freezes, but of course does not do so evenly. It forms what they call ice lenses, which can push up sections of the active layer. Later, as the ice lenses thaw, large areas may collapse. You can also get big splits in the pavement, and of course you get the ordinary kind of potholes on top of that. There's more to it than that, but it would probably take a geophysicist to explain it. And from what I could tell when I googled it to learn more, I'm not even sure they understand it all that well.

And in the Yukon Territory, I'm not so sure they understand it at all. The last 100 miles or so in YT was probably the worst road I have ever been on. The border agent even commented about it. Said we send them money to keep the road maintained and we should find out what they do with it. I don't know if that's true or not.

I tried to get some pictures to show the road conditions, but of course the worst spots were not conveniently located near a pullout. From several feet up, it was hard to get the right angle to show it well, but I think I got a few good examples.




More Scenery
But in between all the bouncing, there was still some nice scenery:




Is this a swan or a snow goose?

Welcome to Alaska, Part 2
The road improved almost instantly when we crossed the border. We hope that was a good sign.

Ahhh.... New, smooth pavement. The first 14 miles had been freshly paved. We did run into some rough road later on, but nothing like what we saw earlier.

Skinny Trees
It seems the farther north we get, the skinnier the trees get. I'm not sure if this is because they get limited nourishment from the layer above the permafrost, or if it is an adaption to areas with heavy snow. Or both.


Need To Identify These Yellow Flowers
They seem to be some kind of yellow daisy, but I haven't found anything yet to confirm.


Alaska's Most Abundant Wildlife

Ok, I couldn't resist. I cropped these critters from one of my windshield scenery shots. Those specks are mosquitoes splattered on the windshield. Alaska is well known for its crop of healthy mosquitoes. Believe it or not, this windshield was shiny clean and freshly coated with rain-x at the start of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment, but I will look at all comments before allowing them to be published, so don't expect them to show up immediately. This is to weed out the inevitable spam posts. If you do not wish to register, you might include a clue in your comment so I can figure out who you are.